The Windsor Picture Palace (as it was known then) opened 1921, in Lutwyche Road Windsor, near the corner with Le Geyt Street. A vestibule fronted Lutwyche Road. At the beginning, patrons were able to dance on a separate floor during silent film screenings. Music was played by a local violinist and pianist. Around 1924 it was renamed the Crystal Palace Theatre. Windsor and Wilston State Schools held annual fancy dress balls at the theatre during the late 1920s and 1930s.
Talking movies then came along and the theatre became a great entertainment venue for the local residents. All Hollywood’s major films were shown at Windsor. Saturday matinees were attended by the children who experienced cartoons, serials (Superman, Batman, etc) and one or two films. A snack bar was positioned under the stage, and interval created a rush by the children to purchase drinks, ice creams, lollies, etc.
The stage and screen were situated behind the front vestibule and the canvas seats covered the area sloping eastwards up to the projection room at the back. The theatre was re-vamped in 1964 and the entrance was relocated to Le Geyt Street.
The Crystal Theatre was an icon of the local area before it closed in 1999. Leading up to the closing, the theatre became famous for its continuous screening of the film “The gods must be crazy” (1467 times).
The theatre was demolished in the year 2000, the end of an era!
Among several amateur films recently digitised by State Library of Queensland is an eight minute film of an event held at Wilston State School, purportedly captured sometime between 1953 and 1954.
The recorded footage may depict the opening of the school’s new visual education centre and library, which took place on 28 August 1954. The £6,000 centre (the equivalent of $200,000 today) was officially opened by Queensland Premier Vince Gair. A man resembling Gair can be seen at one point in the footage giving a speech in front of the visual education centre.
Anzac Day Service – April 25, 2019 | 9:00 am Windsor War Memorial Park | 311 Lutwyche Road & Roblane Street | Windsor
The Windsor and Districts Historical Society is honoured to once again invite all members, friends and the community to the 2019 ANZAC Day Service in Windsor Memorial Park.
The service will commence at 9am with many groups from the Windsor Community participating.
At the conclusion of the service the Society is pleased to continue the tradition and invite all those who attend to come back to the Chambers for morning tea and to view our historical displays.
The Chambers will be open until 12noon on ANZAC Day. Gold coin donation |Contact: 0401802980
Windsor War Memorial Park is located between Lutwyche Road and Roblane Street in the suburb of Windsor, Brisbane. The parks main feature is a cenotaph in the middle of the park commemorating those lost during WWI, more information on the memorial can be found at the Queensland War Memorial Register.
Parking is available on streets adjacent to the park on Harris, Thorne and Thondley Streets. The nearest bus stop to the park is near the intersection of Lutwyche Road and Palmer Street a short walk to the North of the park. For more information on public transport please visit Translink.