Windsor, an inner suburb of Brisbane, is five km north-east of the city centre.
The first land sales in the Windsor area were in 1855, with further installments until the end of the decade. The Enoggera/Breakfast Creek separated the area from Brisbane, crossed only at the Breakfast Creek bridge near Albion. The Bowen bridge, upstream (1860) and Lutwyche Road (1862) improved access to the district. The Bowen Bridge Road National School was opened in 1865. Subdivisions into smaller blocks in Windsor followed in the 1870s.
The Windsor area – not yet known by that name – was at first locally governed by the Ithaca divisional board (1880) which was responsible for an area extending westwards from the Sandgate Road (Nundah) to the foothills of the D’Aguilar Range (The Gap, Toowong). In 1887 the Windsor district was severed from Ithaca, becoming Windsor Shire, probably named after Windsor Castle in the golden jubilee year of Queen Victoria’s reign. The Shire, comprising 10.5 sq km, was bounded generally by Enoggera Road, Enoggera/Breakfast Creek, Sandgate Road, Bonney Road and its prolongation back to Kedron Brook. The Shire contained Albion (part), Eagle Junction (part), Wooloowin, Kalinga, Kedron High School’s site, Lutwyche, Grange, Alderley (part), Newmarket, Wilston and Windsor.