Ideas to establish a School of Arts existed by local residents even before the Windsor Shire was created in 1887. In 1910 after the shire became the Town of Windsor, plans were finally drawn up to build a School of Arts. Mr Plastow was awarded the contract and the building […]
This tramway substation was constructed circa 1948 during the postwar expansion of Brisbane’s public transport infrastructure.
Electric trams were first introduced to Brisbane in 1897 and a number of substations were constructed throughout the City in the first half of the twentieth century in order to support continued expansion of the […]
Rosemount House is important in demonstrating the evolution of Queensland – and Windsor’s- history.
The original stone cottage was first built in 1855 by Daniel Rowntree Somerset, the Chief Customs Officer and Shipping Master for the port of Brisbane. Rosemount House was then sold in 1880 to James Hamilton who subdivided […]
Windsor War Memorial Park is a heritage-listed park with war memorial at 311 Lutwyche Road, Windsor, City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It was built in 1925 and added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992.
The Windsor War Memorial was erected on behalf of the citizens of the Town […]
This land was part of the playing fields of the Windsor State School (opened 1916) and was used for Aussie Rules football and cricket. During World War Two, the Allied Works Council requisitioned this portion, and a U.S. Navy Submarine Supply Depot was built (1943). US submarines were based at Capricorn […]
Windsor State School has an outstanding reputation as a school with a strong sense of community spirit and support.
This reputation began in 1865 when local residents of the area lobbied the government for a school for their children. Through their joint efforts of lobbying, donating, and helping, Windsor’s history began […]
The Windsor and Districts Historical will re-open, starting from this Sunday and Monday (7-8 June) 1-4pm.
Coronavirus regulations will be in place. Please visit for research and providing or receiving historical information.
We look forward to your visit. Phone 0401 802 980 for any enquiries.
The Windsor Picture Palace (as it was known then) opened around 1920, in Lutwyche Road Windsor, near the corner with Le Geyt Street. A vestibule fronted Lutwyche Road. At the beginning, patrons were able to dance on a separate floor during silent film screenings. Music was played by a local […]