The Windsor Picture Palace (as it was known then) opened 1921, in Lutwyche Road Windsor, near the corner with Le Geyt Street. A vestibule fronted Lutwyche Road. At the beginning, patrons were able to dance on a separate floor during silent film screenings. Music was played by a local violinist and pianist. Around 1924 it was renamed the Crystal Palace Theatre. Windsor and Wilston State Schools held annual fancy dress balls at the theatre during the late 1920s and 1930s.
Talking movies then came along and the theatre became a great entertainment venue for the local residents. All Hollywood’s major films were shown at Windsor. Saturday matinees were attended by the children who experienced cartoons, serials (Superman, Batman, etc) and one or two films. A snack bar was positioned under the stage, and interval created a rush by the children to purchase drinks, ice creams, lollies, etc.
The stage and screen were situated behind the front vestibule and the canvas seats covered the area sloping eastwards up to the projection room at the back. The theatre was re-vamped in 1964 and the entrance was relocated to Le Geyt Street.
The Crystal Theatre was an icon of the local area before it closed in 1999. Leading up to the closing, the theatre became famous for its continuous screening of the film “The gods must be crazy” (1467 times).
The theatre was demolished in the year 2000, the end of an era!