This tramway substation was constructed circa 1948 during the postwar expansion of Brisbane’s public transport infrastructure.

Electric trams were first introduced to Brisbane in 1897 and a number of substations were constructed throughout the City in the first half of the twentieth century in order to support continued expansion of the tramway system.

This substation was designed by City Architect Frank Costello, who also designed a number of other municipal buildings in Brisbane throughout his career. In 1969 electric trams were phased out and the substation, still owned by SEQEB, was used as a museum for many years.

download pdf