A highly aesthetic sandstone and slate villa dating from 1864, Oakwal, one time home to distinguished Queenslanders of note still holds a commanding position in centre of the cul de sac that was once its surrounding estate.
Built by the ubiquitous John Petrie, its architect was James Cowlishaw who was part of the 19th century political, judicial and social inner sanctum formed by the prominent Cowlishaw, Cockle and Palmer families.
Indeed the first owner – Justice James Cockle – hailed from one of these families and during his 15 year tenure as Chief Justice of Queensland used to walk daily to his chambers in the city, a striking figure in a white suit. During this time he was responsible for consolidating many of Queensland’s statutes. He and his wife were also fond of children and every year would hold a picnic on their estate for the local school children.